Monday, December 24, 2012

Secret to Happiness

This post is to help bring a little cheer this holiday season, just in time for the big day! Now, I'm not a philosopher, nor do I have any secret elixers, but I do tend to be a pretty pleasant person 99% of the time. The other 1%, I'm usually lacking in one of the following itmes I'm about to present to you. It's all about finding a balance in your life that makes you just sit back, smile, and enjoy what life has presented.
So here are my "Secrets" to keeping myself in check.

1. Check your Surroundings

As Oprah has said, "Surround yourself with people who lift you up higher". I cannot stress how important this is! If you are finding that everyone around you is constantly complaining or just always negative, this will most certainly have a negative impact on your own mood.

There will be some instances where it will be unavoidable, i.e. family, coworkers, people you just have to see constantly. In those instances you may have to over balance another area to make up for the negativity you'll be around for the time being.

2. Exercise

Recently I completed the Insanity program (no I am not a complete health nut and I'm not going to tell you that doing this workout is for everyone). Now I had heard that exercise can positively influence your mood, but I really didn't believe it... until now.

After completing the program I took a break. The workouts were intense and I felt like I deserved a little vacation. Fast forward 3 weeks later and I was still sitting on my butt most nights with an occasional 10-20 low impact workout.

Needless to say, I found myself in a rut. I felt down about myself, just not my typical happy self. There were a couple of small factors that played into this, but I realized that it all started after I stopped working out. I have since started exercising regularly, and with a higher impact that actually produces sweat. I have seen major improvements in my attitude since. So, call me a believer now.

3. Smile

I know it seems so simple, but it's true. Sometimes just giving someone a smile and seeing them return the gesture is all it takes to lighten a mood.

4. Give

Whether it's a gift or a hug, giving something to another person can really boost your soul. It doesn't have to be anything big or even cost any money, as long as it makes someone else happy, well it's bound to make you feel good too.

5. Sleep Tight

A good night's sleep does wonders for a mood. I find a lot when my children don't sleep well, i.e. I do not sleep well, I am more irratable and well cranky. Life isn't always going to present you with ideal sleep circumstances, but sleep is so important in keeping you sane.

Just making sure you have all of these balanced in your life, while may not create miracles, can't hurt. They work for me, but like I said, I'm no expert. But as one of my favorite quotes states:

Happy girls are the prettiest


  1. So true! I find I am more pickier with my friends now with kids. I love having positive inspiring people around me not just for myself but for Madison! I think I may print and post this on my wall as a great reminder of balance.

    1. It's probably the most important piece of happiness!